Established in 1987 in north Dublin, Beaumont Hospital is one of Ireland’s leading medical centres, known nationwide as a centre of excellence for healthcare, research and teaching.
Beaumont has more than 800 beds and employs 3,000 staff, and provides emergency and acute care services to a local north Dublin community of over 300,000 people. The hospital is also affiliated with Dublin City University, and is the principal teaching hospital for the Royal College of Surgeons.
Wheels We Deliver has been providing courier services to Beaumont Hospital for over 20 years. In 2019, we made a successful bid for a long-term courier contract with Beaumont.
Services we provide to Beaumont Hospital include:
- Transport of patient medical record files
- Transport of pharmacy items
- Transport of post and ad hoc items such as wheelchairs and frames
- Collection of mail for delivery to the local An Post sorting office
- Transport of loan theatre sets and reusable invasive medical devices (RIMD) from CSSD, Beaumont Hospital to St Joseph’s Hospital, including the return of sterile instruments and transport of clean loan instruments
- Transport of supply goods by tail lift and pallet truck
- Other general courier services
- One of our chief logistics projects with Beaumont Hospital is the ongoing sensitive transport of reusable invasive medical devices (RIMD). We proposed and facilitated the following best practices:
- RIMD boxes collected and transported are secured using straps or secured bars to stop movement during normal transportation
- WWD vehicle is specialised for transporting contaminated RIMD. Surfaces are cleanable and the area is wiped clean between journeys.
- Clean and decontaminated products are not transported at the same time in the same vehicle.
- Each vehicle has the recommended first aid equipment, spill kits and biohazard signs at all times.
- All deliveries/collections are logged at all sites, and all deliveries are subject to documented risk assessment.
- All Medical Division drivers have specialist training, and are all trained in emergency response procedures. Standard hand hygiene practices are maintained at all times.
- Here’s what another valued clients had to say about our service: “Wheels We Deliver has been the courier contract provider to Beaumont Hospital incorporating St Joseph’s Hospital for over 20 years.Over the years the service from Wheels we Deliver has been excellent; they provide a twice daily service, direct drop, overnight or international service when required.They ensure diagnostic samples are transported in accordance with the current ADR regulations. Wheels We Deliver’s understanding of time sensitive delivery, temperature critical and urgency is paramount when the need arises, and this is always met.I would have no hesitation in recommending Wheels We Deliver.”
Fiona Edwards — General Services Manager, Beaumont Hospital and St Joseph’s, Raheny