Established in 1894, the National Maternity Hospital (NMH) on the corner of Merrion Square in Dublin is one of Ireland’s largest maternity hospitals. It provides maternity care for over 8,000 women annually. The NMH employs over 1,000 staff members, and more than 10,000 women attend annually for gynaecological issues.
The hospital is the national referral centre for complicated pregnancies, premature and sick infants, and delivers over 10,000 babies every year.
Due to essential maintenance work in the department, The hospital’s Clinical Decision Unit (CDU) needed a specialist service to transport reusable invasive medical devices (RIMD) to and from the National Maternity Hospital and St Vincent’s University Hospital.
The service was required for a continuous period of two weeks weeks including weekends — with multiple daily return trips between both hospitals’ clinical decision units.
The Wheels We Deliver business development team held on site meetings with the clinical decision unit teams at the three hospitals and implemented the following arrangements:
- On site security clearance for the Wheels We Deliver driver and service vehicle — specially adapted and sterile lined
- Agreed detailed internal hospital route to/from CDU for both hospital locations
- Created a bespoke documented procedures manual for our dedicated fully trained DGSA/GDP driver
- Fully audited cleaning records for all RIMD movements
- Mobile phone access to the driver and the WWD operations team
- Commitment to amend tailored service design at short notice
- Additional standby arrangements beyond project timeline
Here’s what another valued clients had to say about our service:
“We in the CDU want to express our sincere thanks to the Wheels We Deliver Medical Transport team for the transportation of our medical devices.
Our equipment was transported door to door from our hospital to another facility on time without fail, and the driver was readily available with no delays.
At times with very short notice, we made changes to the agreed service and each time you facilitated us without hesitation. You went out of your way to ensure our needs were met and as a result our very busy service went undisrupted.
I would have no hesitation in recommending your service to my colleagues and should we ever need transportation for medical devices in the future, you will be our first port of call…”
Pamela Hutchings: CDU Manager/Decontamination Lead — National Maternity Hospital